Saturday, February 25, 2006

No Bread

Mr. Cupcake and I went to the Polish Deli today as planned. I was starving and ready for a kielbasa sandwich. Unfortunately, when we arrived the owner informed us he wasn't preparing sandwiches today because he didn't have any bread. I've read he gets his bread from some bakery, so it was a semi bust. I was also excited for perogies, but he was out of potato. He had blueberry and plum. I haven't had sweet perogies before but I wasn't in the mood to try. I was hoping that they were homemade and frozen, but alas, they were some kind of manufactured perogies, so we passed.

We did end up buying a couple of kinds of kielbasa because Mr. Cupcake was craving kielbasa and cabbage. Oh, and if you don't know what kielbasa is, it's a Polish sausage. So, we asked the owner for some kielbasa, and he responded with "What kind?". We kind of looked at each other and were like, "Uh, I don't know". Normally when we buy kielbasa, there's only one choice. However, at this little deli there were a number of choices. He flies the kielbasa in from Chicago, and was nice enough to let us sample before we bought. Unfortunately, we weren't thinking, didn't pick up a flier, and now can't remember the names, so we have no idea what kind of kielbasa we bought. We did try a chicken kielbasa, but it was lacking depth, so we passed. Mr. Cupcake was trying to be healthy, but it wasn't worth it.

In the end I would recommend the Polish Deli to at least try. The kielbasas are very flavorful, and the owner is super friendly. He's also a good salesman. At one point Mr. Cupcake said he liked spicy food and we ended up taking home some "Super Extra Hot Mustard". Four kielbasa links and a jar of mustard were around $16. We'll definitely be back so we can try a cooked kielbasa sandwich.


Mr. Cupcake's homemade kielbasa and cabbage. I need to work on more artistic photos.

Since kielbasa was a bust for lunch, we decided to get food somewhere else. We saw a large crowd standing outside of Joanie's Cafe on California Street. When there's large crowds in front of a restaurant, we assume it has to be good unless it's the Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory. Anyway, we get on the list and the lady said it'd be at least 30 minutes. She wasn't kidding. We waited forever, but we finally did get a table. I mulled over the menu for awhile as many things looked good. They had large breakfast and lunch selections. It was around 1:30 in the afternoon, but Mr. Cupcake and I decided on breakfast.

Mr. Cupcake's waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausage


My eggs benedict, hash browns, and fruit

I felt the presentation was lacking. If it tasted amazing, I could be more forgiving. However, my eggs benedict was overly salty because they used ham instead of Canadian bacon. The hash browns were nice and crispy on the outside, but mushy on the inside. They needed to be smashed down further. The fruit didn't taste like much either. It makes me glad I passed up the big box of strawberries at Costco earlier this week. They always look so good, but taste like water. Mr. Cupcake wasn't excited by his food either. He was hoping for a Belgian waffle.

We probably won't be back. Our two meals plus coffee and orange juice was around $27 including tip. It's a tad expensive for a not so thrilling meal. Plus, the wait is insanely long. I really enjoy breakfast a lot, but I've yet to find a breakfast place around here that I'd want to be a regular. The search goes on.

I didn't do my big baking extravaganza today. We ran errands which took a lot longer than I anticipated. However, I did start a crust for this Heart Shaped Chocolate-Apricot Tart. We joined a cooking club and we'll be making two of these for the dinner tomorrow night. Oh, and they won't be heart shaped. I had difficulties finding a tart pan let alone a heart shaped one, which surprised me. I threw out my old tart pan because it was rusting, and I didn't want to serve extra minerals to people I don't really know. Anyway, I'll finish the tarts tomorrow and hopefully make profiteroles in the afternoon. I just really want to test where my baking abilities lie. If they turn out well, I may take them to cooking club because Mr. Cupcake and I cannot eat a couple of dozen profiteroles.

Finally, I know where my next review will be. We're going to Gochi in Cupertino. It's a local izakaya that serves Japanese fusion tapas and sake. I'm really looking forward to it for a couple of reason: 1. the food and 2. because we're going with a bunch of people we don't know. It should prove to be interesting, but I'm always up for new things though, so why not?

No comments: