Saturday, March 04, 2006

holla!

I think it's funny when kids say "holla!", so I'm sending a holla! to anyone who reads this blog. Yeah, I'm lame.

Last night we went to Kabul with A. and S. It's an Afghan restaurant, and when we arrived, it packed to the brim. We met at 8:00, and all of us were surprised that there was a wait. It wasn't too bad though; maybe 20 minutes or so. A reservation is probably a good idea on the weekend.

This time, I decided I'd be all smart and write down what we ordered in attempt to do a good review. However, I failed at taking quality pictures. The pictures looked pretty good without a flash in the LCD, but when I put them on my computer they looked terrible. I am still trying to figure out how to take a good picture in low light, and haven't succeeded yet. Unfortunately, the pictures will be limited this time around.

Once we were seated, we looked over the menu and decided to order a few appetizers to begin with. We decided on Aushak and Mantu. The Aushak was amazing. It was a dumpling with minced lamb in the middle. It was smothered in yogurt, tomatoes, and a few vegetables. I think this was my favorite dish of the night. The Mantu was also good. It was another dumpling dish that was filled with leeks and onion, and smothered in meat sauce. The filling was pretty sparse, but I liked the noodle. If I ordered again, I would probably only go with the Aushak.


Mantu

Aushak

For the main course, I went with the vegetarian platter. It included kadu (pumpkin topped with yogurt), gulpi (cauliflower cooked with tomatoes and onions), sabsi (cooked spinach), and a large place of challaw (rice). I really liked the kadu. It was very sweet and the yogurt was a nice accompaniment. I wasn't very fond of the sabsi because it was sort of bitter. The gulpi was okay. It had a lot of spice and the cauliflower was very soft. Again, it was just okay.

Mr. Cupcake went with the Kebab-e-Kerai. Even though the menu called it a kebab, it wasn't. It was chunks of lamb in a tomato and green pepper sauce. I tried it, and it reminded me of brisket, but with more of a tomato base instead of BBQ. Mr. Cupcake enjoyed his meal.

S. ordered the kebab combination plate which was a bunch of skewered meat. A. had some kind of lamb dish with carrots and raisins. She was hoping for caramelized carrots, but unfortunately they weren't. She still liked it though. When it came out, it kind of frightened me. It looked like a dome covered in wet, shredded carrots and raisins. My first thought was ants on a log. I know, ants on a log have nothing to do with carrots or lamb. It was covered in raisins though, so I guess that's where I made the correlation. If only my picture came out; maybe you would see it too!

Dinner also included a salad. The salad was iceberg lettuce, a tomato, and a lot of ranch dressing. There was also a black spice that was sprinkled all over, and at first glance, it looked like pepper. It definitely wasn't pepper though, and really married well with ranch dressing if you can believe. I'm not really a fan of ranch dressing, but the spice definitely added to it. We couldn't identify it though.

Finally, we decided to get dessert. I went with the baklava and Mr. Cupcake, A., and S. went with the firnee (described as pudding made of milk, cardamom, rose water, sliced almonds, and topped with pistachios). I have fond memories of having baklava at this place in Lexington that is now defunct. I loved the crispy layers drizzled with honey and the nutty goodness inbetween. Last night, was the biggest piece of baklava that I've ever seen before, and unfortunately did not bear any resemblance to the baklava that I remember. It was not crispy, but instead soggy. I don't recommend it if you've ever had good baklava before. Everyone seemed to like the firnee though. I think they were under the impression it was rice pudding. It tasted like it, but just lacked the rice. It was also gelatinous, but the almonds gave it a very nice texture. Overall, it seemed to grow on everyone by the time they finished.

Our final bill not including tip was about $85 for four people. It was an interesting experience, and Afghan food is pretty good. I'd like to try more in the future. There's another place in Sunnyvale called Afghani House. We may hit it up eventually, but our list of places to try keeps growing. By the way, Mr. Cupcake and I ate the leftovers for dinner tonight, and I think it tasted better than last night because the flavors had time to meld together.

Anyway, we had a good day today because our Girl Scout cookies came! The cutest little girl came by last month and sold us some cookies. How can anyone say no to a cute little Girl Scout? Actually, now that I think about we've said no to a lot of Girl Scouts. They're in front of just about every store these days trying to get the innocent shoppers to buy their crack. Our cute girl scout isn't that way though, so now we have a box of Thin Mints, Caramel Delights, and Cartwheels. So bad for our waistlines, yet so tasty.

I'm not sure what the next review will be. I'm thinking about making cupcakes tomorrow. If I do it tomorrow then Mr. Cupcake can take them to work and we won't eat them all. I have to do some deep cleaning and watch the Oscars though, so I'm not sure if it will get done. We do have restaurant plans for next week, so I'll work on taking better pictures.

4 comments:

Mon_amie64 said...

Wow! you encouraged me to try Afghani Food .

Mon_amie64 said...

Wow!i love that very much

Imi Votteler said...

Just thought I'd Holla at ya, Bitch. Love ya cookin' sweet cheeks.

Peace out.

HOLLAAAAAAAAAA

Anonymous said...

hey, im afghan, and i just wanted to let you know you got the names mixed up.
aushak is with the leeks, mantu is with the meat... just lettin ya know.

take care.