Sunday, April 09, 2006

breakfast y'all

Mr. Cupcake and I were lounging around this morning, when he decided he wanted to go to Hobee's for breakfast. We've been there several times since being out here. It's a local chain and has pretty good breakfast food. However, I was in the process of creating my wish list (see side panel) when he wanted to go, so I made him wait until I was finished.

There are quite a few Hobee's in the Bay area, but we usually go to the one at Rengstorff and Central Expressway in Mountain View. When we arrived it was pretty busy. Mr. Cupcake wanted to park in the Walgreen's parking lot, but I freaked and told him no because I didn't want to get towed (there were tow signs everywhere!). We eventually parked and then had to wait about 15 minutes for table. It wasn't terrible for 11:30 in the morning.

While you wait, Hobee's offers complimentary coffee and hot tea outside. I always want to like their tea, but it has a very strong cinnamon flavor that burns my throat going down. I'd had it once before while we were waiting, but the burning sensation was so strong that I threw it out. I figured that maybe I was getting the stuff that settled to the bottom, and that's why it tasted so concentrated. I decided to brave the tea again. I took a few sips, and had to throw it out. I guess that's the way it's suppose to be. I don't know how people can drink it that way. It'd taste a lot better if there was actually more water to dilute it.

Once we were seated, we looked over the menu. The front page always has an insert with their specials. I really enjoy breakfast but tend to have a difficult time trying to decide what I should order. I like pancakes, but I usually find I'm hungry again after an hour. This time I decided to go with the Pruneyard Ommie with their blueberry coffeecake.

We took the food pictures with Mr. Cupcake's phone. I don't have a new camera yet. Soon though! Anyway, the pruneyard ommie had turkey bacon, spinach, mushrooms, red onions, swiss cheese and is topped with a sun dried tomato pesto. I asked for egg whites only and the pesto on the side. I liked the omelet a lot. I don't usually order eggs, but I guess I was just feeling it today. The egg whites were thin and the omelet was filled with tons of veggies. I was glad I ordered the pesto on the side. Pestos can have a pretty strong flavor, and this was no exception. With little dabs here and there it was nice. Mr. Cupcake tried my omelet, and told me I could keep it. He doesn't really like sundried tomatoes though.

Hobee's claims they're famous for their coffee cake. It's okay I guess. It's really light and fluffy with a crumble on top. They also put a big slab of butter on top of the crumble. I don't particularly care for big blobs of butter on top of pastries. If the pastry is good, it doesn't need excess butter. Most pastries are made with tons of butter anyway. I just don't get all that excited for coffee cake.

Mr. Cupcake decided to go with one of the specials. He had a chile relleno dipped in egg batter and then browned. It came with scrambled eggs, hash browns, and a piece of blueberry coffeecake.

Mr. Cupcake thought the chile relleno and eggs were just okay. He said the chile relleno was soggy and could have been better. He enjoyed the coffee cake though. I didn't try the chile relleno or the eggs, but the hash browns were good. My favorite kind are the really thin type, but these were crispy on the outside and soft inside, so I approved.

Our meal was about $24 before tip for two entrees, a coffee, and a large orange juice. I'm sure we'll be back. It's not the most amazing breakfast ever, but it's good enough for those mornings where we're craving a big breakfast.

Mr. Cupcake and I were stuffed afterwards, so we were walked off some of our breakfast by going to the farmer's market. I'm waiting for the berries, cherries, and peonies!! I love peonies, but it's still too early. I was tempted to buy some ranunculus, but they looked picked over. We did buy some blood oranges though.

I have been trying to eat in until I get my new camera. I don't want to go without pictures, and the camera phone pictures are subpar. Hopefully this week I'll actually have a new camera, and then I can start marking things off my wish list.

No comments: