Friday, April 14, 2006

can you guess?

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching Martha and was inspired to paint eggs, so I invited A over. It's probably been like 6 or 7 years since I colored eggs, and even longer for A. I think she said something like 5th grade, so it was a good time to give it another go.

I had Mr. Cupcake help me pick up some supplies for the decorating festivities. I was just going to buy the tablets, but he insisted that I buy the stuff that comes in vials. Well, they don't sell the stuff in the vials here, so we gave up. The day of the big event, I ran all over looking for paint in vials again and couldn't find any. Finally, I found a paint palette at Target. It was the last one, so I grabbed it. I also picked up a cute Hello Kitty kit.

I had been dreaming of coconut cupcakes that week, so I decided it'd be a good time to make them. For some reason I thought Baking Illustrated had a recipe, but it turned out there was only a coconut cake recipe. I was a little disappointed, but remembered my secret girl crush, the Barefoot Contessa, had a lovely coconut cupcake recipe that I'd been wanting to try for some time now. Ina (as always) had a very straight forward recipe except I misinterpreted 1.5 pounds of confectioners sugar for 1.5 cups for the frosting. I was sad because I didn't have enough sugar. A tried the frosting and said it tasted like butter. No problem. A and I ran over to the evil Safeway nearby, bought a pound of confectioners sugar and the frosting was saved! We frosted and topped them with coconut and the cupcakes were lovely.

Ina didn't let me down. The cupcakes were tasty and I was happy again! They should be tasty considering the recipe calls for 6 sticks of butter. Mr. Cupcake took the leftovers to work and someone left a post it that said "Great cupcake! It was delicious! :)" Ah, validation is good. I<3 ina.

After we taste tested the cupcakes, we went on to decorating our eggs. We decorated until A's fingers were an unrecognizable color.






Mr. Cupcake and S had gone to play poker, so when they came back they tried to guess who the eggs belonged to. Mr. Cupcake had good reasoning why the eggs belonged to me; he knows me so well. They were able to do it, but can you? Leave a comment and I'll give the answer in my next post.

I'm also happy to report that the dye finally came off A's fingers. :)

A new memory stick just arrived via DHL 20 minutes ago, my camera should be here in the next few days, and my DSL appears to be back to normal again. Yay! Once I have my new camera, I'll be back in business and my blog will be focused again. Oh and FYI, Amex refunded the entire cost of my broken camera. Love them.

2 comments:

Hungry Jaye said...

Hi, I found your blog through Sarah's.

Aren't The Contessa's cupcakes to DIE for? I don't even like coconut that much but I wolfed down the first 10 like my life depended on it. And I could take a bath in the frosting.

Pretty eggs, but I don't see any Hello Kitty faces on any of them.

madame cupcake said...

Welcome to my blog! :)

I love Ina Garten! I have yet to make anything of hers that I didn't like. If you like coconut, her macaroons are also delish.

The Hello Kitty kit turned out to be a wash. See the second set of eggs, specifically the bright blue egg with blue dots. The "dots" are actually the Hello Kitty stamp. It didn't look like Hello Kitty at all. The dye tablets were the only useful thing in the kit. All I can say is I'm a sucker for packaging.