Sunday, April 02, 2006

churro!

Mr. Cupcake had a fun filled morning of autocross, but stopped by Costco on his way home. He brought me home a churro! I love Costco churros. They have good texture; crispy and cinnamon sugary on the outside and soft and doughy on the inside. Plus they're super cheap. It only costs a dollar for a foot long churro.

In Kentucky, we use to belong to Sam's Club (yes, I know Wal-Mart is the devil) because it was the only warehouse club in Lexington. Anyway, we use to always see people eating at Sam's Club, and never understood why. One day, Mr. Cupcake decided he wanted a $2 slice of pizza from Costco. It was huge! Granted, it wasn't anywhere near the best slice of pizza we've ever had, but it was cheap and definitely edible. Then another day he wanted a Polish sausage. A rather large polish sausage and a drink was only $1.50! How can Costco sell food for so cheap?! Finally, one day it happened; I succumbed to the churro. I always saw kids eating these huge churros, and I decided to get one. I haven't looked back since. I know some foodies might balk at the idea of eating at Costco, but everyone should try the magical $1 foot long churro at least once. Because of these experiences, I now know why all those people were eating at Sam's Club. One could easily feed a family of 4 for under $10. I bet the food is even cheaper than Costco. However, even though Costco is busiest place on Earth, I like to support them. Their business model involves treating their employees very well, so I try to support those types of businesses when I can.

Anyway, I spent the day in SF yesterday doing training for a volunteer group I'm involved in. I came home pretty late last night and when I picked up the mail, I found I had a package from SK. To my surprise, she sent me a box of Aveda's Comforting Tea. It's their special blend. When she came to visit, we went to Berkeley and stopped in an Aveda store. They handed us a sample of this marvelous tea. It's made with peppermint and licorice root. I'm not a big tea drinker, so I'm not usually smitten by tea. However, the after taste is what makes this tea so special. It lingers in the back of the mouth with this amazing sweet, minty flavor. I love it. If you live near an Aveda, go in for the tea sample; it's so worth it. Thanks to SK, I have 19 lovely more tea bags to enjoy.

Mr. Cupcake and I went to Fry's this evening to look at new digital cameras. I'm feeling lost without one because I can't take food pictures and report about them. Hence no picture of today's churro. That's why I haven't had very many updates lately. I'll be happy when I have a camera again. I'm leaning towards an Olympus (stupid Canon), but we'll see. I have to do more research first.

I have been doing a lot of food related activities lately. I'll report about them in the coming days. A. brought her camera over the other day and took pictures, so I should have some lovely photography to accompany my posts. Until then.

No comments: