Monday, April 10, 2006

let mr. cupcake eat pie

This was a weekend filled with highs and lows. Mr. Cupcake and I went to a BBQ on Saturday. I told the host that I would bring a dessert. I have been a fan of a Chockylit's blog for the past few months. She always makes these amazing cupcakes, so I decided this was a good chance to try out her Samoas Cupcakes. It was a complete disaster. I wasn't anticipating so many obstacles like burnt caramel and curdled custard. In the end, I ran out of time and threw in the towel.

What does a girl do when she owes a crowd dessert? We went to Draeger's and picked up a chocolate cake with white butter cream frosting. It's a lot like Andronico's except everyone who shops there drives really fancy cars. It was our first visit, and Mr. Cupcake noted that my car wasn't expensive enough.

The cake went over pretty well. It reminded me of an okay wedding cake without filling. I wasn't necessarily thrilled with it, but there wasn't much I could do.

I was feeling deflated after my cupcake disaster. I still have plain cupcakes and toasted coconut sitting on the table. I should probably throw them out. But never fear! I made pie dough on Friday from Baking Illustrated. Now, I made an apple pie once before and it didn't turn out so well. The crust was tough since it was all done by hand. I'm sure I over worked it. This time I made it with my food processor and it was pretty easy.

The cookbook said to only let the dough sit in the fridge for a maximum of two days, I decided to go ahead and make my apple pie last night. It was pretty straight forward (that's why I like Baking Illustrated) and was drama free. Well, there was a point where I thought it was going to look ugly before I put it in the oven, but it was fine. I'll call it rustic.

I was sad because we couldn't eat it last night. The book said I had to wait at least 4 hours before serving, and it came out of the oven around 9. Therefore, we decided to eat it for breakfast this morning. The crust was flaky and the inside was gooey and good. I deem this apple pie a success! Mr. Cupcake was groggy so he just said it was good. Usually Mr. Cupcake will say "it's okay" and I interpret it as it's good because he doesn't get overly excited for anything except maybe a fast car. So, when he actually calls it good then it means it's great!

I have a lot of love for Baking Illustrated. I like how they explain but also illustrate all their techniques. I'm tempted to make more things out of it but it's bad for our waistlines. I may have to wait for a special occasion before baking anything else.

1 comment:

Sinistar said...

Yum... That apple pie looks delorsh! Usually the foods on your blog are too fancy for my trailer park tastes... But that pie looks like it would hit the spot!