Friday, April 21, 2006

pure hawtness

Mr. Cupcake and I recently discovered the Steven's Creek Trail. We took a stroll this evening after dinner. The trail is four miles long. We didn't walk the whole way, but we did go a decent distance. Afterwards, Mr. Cupcake said he'd reward me with ice cream.

Ah, ice cream. I don't always love ice cream. Sometimes it's too rich and upsets my stomach. For instance, I don't particularly care for places like Cold Stone Creamy. The ice cream is so rich and thick. I know a lot of people love it, but it just doesn't do it for me. I do love gelato though. Maybe I like it for its lower fat content. Maybe I like how dense it is. Whatever the reason, I love it. I haven't had amazing gelato since I've been in the Bay area though. Actually, I haven't had amazing gelato since visiting Italy.

Anyway, I decided to take Mr. Cupcake up on his offer. Before we went, I did some research on chowhound because we don't really have a regular place. The chowhounds kept talking about a place called Tango Gelato. Many of them say it's the best gelato in the Bay area. The only problem is that they were referring to the one in San Francisco. I visited the website anyway figuring maybe I could visit the next time I'm up north. To my surprise, there was a place in Los Altos that offers Tango Gelato. I was elated. I grabbed Mr. Cupcake, and we were off to Italian Deli and Gelateria in Los Altos.

When we arrived in downtown Los Altos, it was a little after 9pm. The entire main street was dead! It's Friday night. wtf?! Of course the gelateria was closed. I made a mental note to add it to my wish list though. Mr. Cupcake and I were ice creamless. After a bit of indecision, we chose Real Ice Cream in Santa Clara. We've been once before. I wanted to go because I was craving coconut. Coconut is rapidly becoming one of my favorite flavors. Though, it'll never surpass chocolate.

Real Ice Cream can be a little tricky to find because it is tucked behind a seafood restaurant in a strip mall. When we arrived, the hours said they closed at 9pm. It was 9:40, but there were people inside. We walked in, and the man behind the counter said he's serve us ice cream to go. I was happy because it would have been depressing to drive that whole way and not have any ice cream. Real Ice Cream has more unusual flavors compared to the typical ice cream shop. They carry flavors like rose water, saffron, and mango. They also offer more traditional flavors like chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla.

I went with the coconut pineapple and it was pure hawtness. There were bits of coconut and pineapple in the ice cream and the flavors really married well together. Real Ice Cream doesn't use eggs and they make it all in house. The other thing I like is that the ice cream is not overly sweet like a lot of other places. Again, pure hawtness.

Mr. Cupcake opted for a scoop of pistachio and a scoop of cashew raisin. We took a picture with his camera phone, but it wasn't having it. All we could get were blurry picture, so no picture of his food for you tonight. Mr. Cupcake enjoyed his ice cream though. The cashews were kind of weird because they were chewy, but still good. We'll be back again for sure.

Mr. Cupcake recently updated my gallery software, and now it's not playing nice with blogger. I tried writing about my sushi adventures from last night, but I couldn't get the images to work. Hopefully I'll get that sorted out and you can learn about my love for toro.

Last thing: Tuesday April 25th is Ben and Jerry's free cone day. Be there or be square.

No comments: