Friday, April 28, 2006

too hip

CI and C came down to the South Bay on Sunday, and we met up with them for dinner. We decided to check out Xanh in downtown Mountain View. Xanh is a new Vietnamese fusion restaurant that I've heard good things about. I had my nails done and the nail lady said the food there was good. She's Vietnamese, so I figured she'd probably know. Someone else also told me they really enjoyed the food. I didn't know what to think because the exterior is a little too chic for downtown Mountain View.

It was pretty busy for a Sunday night. We had about a ten minute wait. We went ahead and ordered a couple of appetizers when we were seated.


C ordered a Traditional Roll (shrimp, pork, rice noodles, green apple, lettuce, cilantro, mint, cucumber, and shallots). It came with a peanut sauce. I thought this roll was pretty good. It had a nice mix of flavors. I also liked the peanut sauce.

Mr. Cupcake ordered the Spicy Ahi Tuna Roll (ahi, mango, lettuce, cilantro, mint, and shallot). It came with a "spicy vinaigrette". The roll was deficient in the amount of available ahi. I could taste a little bit, but it was definitely heavy on the lettuce and noodles. I also wouldn't call it spicy.

We decided we would share after we ordered. C and I both ended up ordering the Bun Thit Nuong (rice noodles, cucumber, green apples, cilantro, mint, carrots, and shallots) except she ordered it with pork and I ordered it with shrimp.

When it came out and our waitress mixed up our dishes in front of us. It also came with a bowl of nuoc cham vinaigrette that was suppose to be poured on top. I was disappointed because it only came with four shrimp. I have to say the shrimp was the highlight of the dish because the rest of it didn't really work for me. The noodles were way too soft which gave the dish an overall bad texture. C said she was expecting more lettuce and also seemed underwhelmed.

CI ordered the Peppercorn Beef (beef tenderloin with potatoes and asparagus). Mr. Cupcake thought the beef was too dry. To compensate he had to dip it in the sauce a few extra times. I didn't try the beef but I really liked the potatoes.

Mr. Cupcake ordered the shaking beef (filet, garlic, spinach, and onions). The server brought it out and proclaimed that it was their best offering. CI inquired if that meant the rest of the food was subpar. The server quickly said no. Mr. Cupcake thought this dish was good. He said the beef was tender and the marinated greens complimented it well. I tried it but wasn't amazed. But then again, I don't really care for beef.

We looked over the dessert menu, but decided to opt out and go somewhere else. They were already out of a couple of dishes. Besides, I really hate having a lackluster dessert. It's my favorite part of the meal and if it turns out to be bad, then it puts a damper on the entire experience.

Our total bill before tip was about $90. I don't really like to go out for fusion food that much because it's so hard to do well. Maybe I'm not hip enough. It just seemed expensive for what it was. Next time I will probably just go to a more traditional Vietnamese restaurant instead. I just have to find a good one first.

No comments: