Monday, May 01, 2006

aye aye matey!

Mr. Cupcake has been a busy bee lately. I didn't seen him very much last week, so to compensate we went out to dinner on Friday night. Nothing says romance like the Old Port Lobster Shack in Redwood City. I picked our destination because I've heard tons of good things about this place from various people.

Now, I must confess, I didn't really get into seafood until I was older, and even now I tend to be somewhat cautious. I've spent most of my life landlocked, so good seafood was more of a myth. I was afraid. I became more adventurous when I moved to the east coast in college. My first experience with lobster was in Kentucky (it was a nice place, I swear!) and I have to admit I wasn't taken by the experience. I've pretty much avoided lobster since, but was ready to give it another go.

The Old Port Lobster Shack website said it closed at 8pm, so Mr. Cupcake and I hustled to make it there by 7:30. It's tucked in strip mall so it can be a little tricky to find. The decor was bright and cheery with brown picnic tables all around. Orders are taken at the counter. Mr. Cupcake and I mulled over the large menu. Everyone I've talked to raves about the Maine Lobster Roll claiming it's the REAL thing, so that's what I ordered. It's described as "lobster mixed with mayo, lemon juice, chives, salt and pepper". It can also be ordered "naked" where mayo and butter are served on the side. I went with the mayo figuring I'd try my first lobster roll in all its glory. Mr. Cupcake had a hard time deciding what he wanted. It was either a normal sized plate of all fried food or a platter of fried food. Fortunately for his heart, he went with the fish and chips (haddock) which was the smaller of the two.

I thought the lobster roll was on the small side. It's probably because I'm used to everything being supersized these days. I have no concept of what is "normal" anymore. Anyway, the roll came with some crispy kettle chips, 2 slices of bread and butter pickles, a lemon wedge, and some coleslaw. The roll had the texture of a hotdog bun that was toasted and buttered. The lobster roll was good. However, between all the butter and mayo, it was on the rich side. I would probably go "naked" if I ordered it again. I use to hate bread and butter pickles, but these complimented the sandwich well. Maybe it's just me getting old and liking things I use to hate. The chips were pretty greasy, but that's not all that surprising. The coleslaw was vinegar based which is what I prefer. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Mr. Cupcake ordered the fish and chips and wasn't very impressed. The fries were pretty good, but the fish was weak. The batter was too soft and didn't have a crunch to it. It was also very greasy, and the tartar sauce was bland. Mr. Cupcake said he wouldn't hurry back for the fish and chips, but maybe he'd go back and order a full lobster.

Our total bill for our two dishes and a beer was $30 before our tip to the bus boy. It's definitely worth a visit. If anything, it's great people watching. I'm not sure I'll rush back, but I'm still trying to determine how much I like lobster. I have to say my sandwich was pretty good. I'll attribute it to no longer being landlocked. Though, I think they fly the lobsters in from the east coast, so my reasoning doesn't really work. Oh, and they didn't close at 8pm. I'm not sure what time they close, but the place was still bumping after we left. Finally, be sure to tip the bus boy. The poor guy had to pick up all the leftover lobster shrapnel, and no one left a tip.

No comments: