Tuesday, May 16, 2006

banna banna

Mr. Cupcake has been working a lot lately. So last night, I spent the evening perusing different cookie recipes on various blogs. I didn't really have any intentions of actually making cookies, but that was until I came across bakingsheet's blog. The recipe that caught my eye was the banana oatmeal cookies. Now, Mr. Cupcake loves bananas. It's probably right up there with rice pudding and PB&J's on his list of favorites. I had a few very ripe bananas that I'm sure would have ended up in the trash, so I decided to save them.

One of the core ingredients is oats. I really love oats in cookies. It tends to give cookies a nice chewy texture. A prime example of this is Torie's Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Martha Stewart. Mr. Cupcake's sister-in-law made these for our wedding as part of our favors and they were big hit. I have since made these minus the toffee and cherries and found it makes a nice, crispy yet chewy chocolate chip cookie. It's lovely.

Anyway, the banana oatmeal cookie recipe was easy enough. The good thing about it is that there are only 2 tablespoons of butter. That's unheard of in most of the cookie recipes I've made.



The cookies turned out pretty well though they didn't look as nice as Bakingsheet's. As much as I like oatmeal in cookies I think the recipe called for a bit too much. Not all the oats broke down so some of them were still raw. Next time I'll scale it back 1 cup from 1.5 cups. I will also probably lower to temperature to 325 and bake for longer. The cookies looked good when they came out, but this morning they were very sticky and seemed undercooked. If I had baked them longer, they would have burned. Otherwise, I like the balance of the banana to chocolate chips. I also have to give another shout out to the trader joe chocolate chips. They melt so nicely in cookies; I'm just in awe. Anyway, I have a few more overripe bananas, so I may experiment more in the coming days.

Mr. Cupcake didn't come home until after 12:30 last night. He was surprised I made cookies and even more surprised that they were made with bananas. He also informed me that he loves oats, so the cookies turned out to be full of Mr. Cupcake's favorite flavors. This morning, he told me he really liked the cookies again because I'm not usually coherent when Mr. Cupcake comes home late. This is unusual because normally when he likes something, he'll say "it's okay". He said they were a little fluffy, but he liked the crispy outside. Looks like these cookies (with a few tweaks) are a keeper.

Banana Oatmeal Cookies from BakingSheet Blog
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, very soft
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup mashed banana (1 small/medium)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oats
1 cup chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars. Beat in egg and banana, followed by the vanilla extract. Gradually, on low speed or by hand, add in the flour mixture. Stir in the oats (either whole rolled oats or "quick cooking") and chocolate chips.
Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 11-14 minutes at 350F, until set and lightly browned.
Let cookies cool for about 5 minutes on the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.


*Why "banna banna" as the title you ask? The first time Mr. Cupcake met my niece she had a finger puppet monkey named Cassie. She was young at the time so she called bananas, "bannas". She informed us that Cassie ate bannas. So eat your bannas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear MC,

This is M from Louisville ... what a great sounding cookie. I will make it. Yes I will! I made cookies late last night with random ingredients .. hadn't been to the store in forever. Too much nutmeg .. so much for randon recipes. Thanks for posting :-)

SwatchMan said...

That is the best picture of a cookie that I've ever seen!