Tuesday, May 23, 2006

disaster

I don't know what it is about pizza dough that makes it so hard to make. I attempted to make pizza dough again last night. I know, I said again. This is the first time I've written about making dough. The story is that I have been experimenting on and off with various dough recipes. I haven't found a recipe that makes me want to do cartwheels because it's so great. I use to make a dough that utilized my bread machine and it was fairly good, but just not great. I have been on a quest to find that one recipe that blows everything out of the water especially since most places around here serve subpar pizza.

The other day, I caught an old episode of "Good Eats" on the Food Network. It was the pizza episode and I figured why not give it another go as I've never tried Alton Brown's recipe. I checked the recipe out online and saw it had tons of raves. It was simple enough. I threw the ingredients in my KitchenAid and let it spin forever. It sat overnight and grew in size over the next 24 hours. I pulled it out for dinner tonight and started molding it into a ball. I could tell the texture was off. I'm not sure what happened, but it was very tough. However, overall it was still pretty smooth. Mr. Cupcake and I shaped the dough, topped it, and threw it into our 500 degree oven. We use to have these unglazed quarry tiles that were seasoned well and made good pizza. Unfortunately, we threw the tiles out when we moved. I really wished we hadn't. We now have a commercial pizza stone and I guess it's okay. I'm hoping it'll get better as it starts to season more. I searched high and low for decent sized quarry tiles out here to no avail.

Moving on. I topped my pizza with my favorite ingredients: basil, prosciutto, and fresh mozzarella. Mr. Cupcake calls these ingredients my peanut butter and jelly. I just love the flavor combination. I make paninis with these ingredients at least once a week for lunch. I want a panini press so I can make a panini bar at home like they have at Mr. Cupcake's work. Then Five and I could eat paninis all day, everday.

Anyway, I don't normally like cheese on pizza because I think it's gross. However, I used the mozzarella to protect the basil and prosciutto so they wouldn't burn. My other favorite pizza combination is tomato and onion. That's what I normally order when we get take out.

So, how did it turn out? It sucked - a lot. There was way too much dough. The outside was crispy, but the inside puffed up quite a bit and was extremely dense. It was just too overwhelming. This is coming from a person who lives for bread.

Mr. Cupcake topped his pizza with hot Italian sausage and shredded mozzarella cheese. Mr. Cupcake loves pizza. He was excited to have pizza for dinner. He ate it, but I could tell he definitely didn't love it. At least he loved the sausage. He dropped his car off yesterday and while he was waiting, he went to Dittmer's and bought a bunch of sausages. Dittmer's is a local butcher and I think Mr. Cupcake is in love. I'm sure we'll be making more visits there in the near future especially since it's been good grilling weather.

So, yet another pizza failure. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I guess it could be any number of things. I will just have to try again. I'm not sure I'll try this recipe again though. If I ever have a pizza success, my blog will be the first to know.

No comments: