Thursday, May 11, 2006

madame coconut?

I seem to be obsessed with coconut flavors lately. I still have fond memories of the coconut fritters I ate at Burma Superstar a few weeks ago. I visited Mr. Cupcake at work this week for lunch and had to have a coconut drink. They have actual coconuts with the hole drilled in them topped off with a straw. It's pretty sweet. So, when I made coconut macaroons last week, I couldn't bear to throw away the leftover cream of coconut. Mr. Cupcake cleaned out the fridge earlier this week and got mad at me because I never throw anything away. I figured it was time to do something with it before Mr. Cupcake goes on another fridge cleaning rampage.

I had some leftover cream from the strawberry shortcake. I didn't want it to go to waste either. My immediate thought was ice cream. I started searching the internet for recipes and I went with the one that I had all the ingredients for.

The recipe only called for four ingredients. I had the exact amount of cream and was slightly short on the cream of coconut but that didn't stop me from proceeding. It also called for milk and coconut shreds. I threw the ingredients into my ice cream maker and gave it an 18 minute spin. When it was done, it was way too soft and fluffy, so into the freezer it went not to be seen again for another day.

Yesterday, I decided to go for a walk. I'm not sure if that was a good or bad thing because it was incredibly hot. This humid 85 degree weather is killer. Apparently, it's very unusual for this time of year. Anyway, I felt like death was closing in when I came home, so I chugged some water and remembered my ice cream.

It looked so much different compared to the day before. It actually resembled ice cream. I took a bite and was instantly revived. I forgot how easy ice cream is to make and how good it can be. It wasn't overly sweet so using a little bit less cream of coconut was a good thing. It amazes me how few ingredients can produce such a tasty treat. Maybe next time I'll add pineapple and it'll be like the ice cream shop I love. Or maybe strawberries. The possibilities are endless!

Mr. Cupcake and I are going to volunteer at Kaboom this weekend. I'm thinking about going early so I can snag a few Beard Papa Cream Puffs and gorge myself before I start pouring beer. The grand opening is tomorrow, Friday, May 12. I posted the incorrect date in my earlier post. I must have turned retarded that day. Anyway, it's tomorrow, so if you go, eat 10 for me!

No comments: