Tuesday, May 16, 2006

that's it?

I had some business I had to take care of up in San Francisco yesterday, so I decided to test out the public transit system. Now, I'm from the Midwest where public transportation is laughable (with the exception of Chicago) at best. My day was filled with some successes and some huge failures. I missed my train into the city because I couldn't find parking, so I had to catch the next train. Once I arrived, it went pretty smoothly and I made it to my destination. I was pleased with my navigation efforts, so when I was finished I decided to reward myself. I headed downtown to 99 Yerba Buena Lane and walked into the brand spanking new Beard Papa's shop.

It's a tiny place. Much smaller than I was expecting but cute and cheery. I order the vanilla bean cream puff because that's all that was available. The other flavors are suppose to be available soon. I also picked an extra cream puff for Mr. Cupcake. There were only two tables inside, and they were both full. So I took my order outside and sat down on a nearby chair.

Oh dreamy Beard Papa's cream puff! How I've been lusting after you for months now! And now the day has come where I finally have you! I took a bite. The outside was crispy and the inside was oozing with a speckled custard. The speckles were real vanilla beans. I really wanted to love this cream puff with all my heart, but it just didn't blow me away. I've heard of some accounts where the puff is actually warm when the person received it. However, mine was not. The custard wasn't as rich as I thought it was going to be either. Perhaps I came too early and this is just part of growing pains. It hasn't even been open a week. Based on this experience, I won't be lusting after these cream puffs anymore. However, it doesn't mean I won't be back. There's an eclair flavor I'd like to try. As we all know, chocolate makes everything taste better.

After I finished my cream puff, I proceeded to get on the wrong bus. 20 minutes later I found myself on the wrong side of San Francisco. I then got off the bus and called Mr. Cupcake who then lead me to the wrong bus stop and I had to walk back to where I started. I eventually got on the right bus and 2 hours later, I made it home. What a day.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Note to self, do not read Madame Cupcake's blog before 9am. Because my entire day is going to be a backdrop of craving sweets.

That's awesome that they put in real vanilla beans, right on!

mr cupcake said...

I, too, was underwhealmed. The crispy outside was good, but the filling wasn't rich enough.

I'd rather eat pb&j.