Thursday, June 08, 2006

meh

I have been in a ice cream mood lately. Specifically mint chocolate chip. I don't know why. Maybe it's the baby. Or not. Come on, you didn't really think I was having a baby did you? Besides, Five would get jealous and I can't have that. Anyway, after our taqueria dinner, we went to Rick's Ice Cream in Palo Alto. We went for ice cream a few weeks ago in San Jose, and I've been wanting to find something similar, but closer to my neck of the woods. A few clicks, and I found this place. It has tons of raves on the Internet, and so it was apparent that I must go!

The outside looked promising. Rick's is located in a strip mall near Middlefield and Charleston and there was a healthy line of customers. They make their own ice cream in house and even had a shout out in Gourmet Magazine. Flavors included the usual suspects like chocolate and vanilla to the more unusual like Computer Chip. This is Silicon Valley, so I guess why not?

I went with the usual mint chocolate chip. I like it when places don't dye their mint chocolate chip green. There's something refreshing about having a white ice cream that's minty. Or maybe it's all in my head. Anyway, I really wanted to like this ice cream, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. It was too rich and there was a definite film that coated my tongue. It started to annoy me too much that I couldn't finish the cone. Sadness.

Mr. Cupcake on the other hand enjoyed his ice cream quite a bit. He went with the chocolate banana flavor. I guess it's a rare combination as far as ice cream goes, but it's two of Mr. Cupcake's favorite flavors. Though, if they had had peanut butter banana, then I'm pretty sure he would have passed out.

Total cost for two single scoops of ice cream was $4. I won't be itching to go back here for sure, but if Mr. Cupcake has a craving for chocolate banana ice cream, we'll know where to go.

1 comment:

JD said...

Oh you missed the saffron pistachio... its their best flavor. you might want to consider another trip to re-evaluate.