Tuesday, August 15, 2006

outrageous martha

Today was boring. The reason being is that I didn't have to think about finding a job. So what did I do? I sat and watched TV. I watched the end of "The View". They need to bring back that crazy bitch Star Jones. At least then I could love to hate it. Now, I just hate it. Anyway, then came the news followed by "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". Then I found "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and of course had to watch it. During which I started dreaming about chocolate which turned into I need some chocolate. Apparently I didn't need it that badly because after the movie, I watched the end of "Rudy". Together, Five and I laughed and then we cried. I heart that movie. And, no, it didn't end there. I watched two episodes of "Roseanne". I'm sorry, but the old episodes are some of the best TV ever. EVER!

I had turned into a zombie and decided it was time to turn off the TV. But then what? Mr. Cupcake is hosting poker tomorrow night. It was time to bake something. Something chocolate. Mmmmmmm chocolate. Damn that Willy Wonka! I thought about making chocolate chip cookies because then I wouldn't have to leave for ingredients. I mean come on, I spent the first half of the day at home, why not make it a full one? Well, lucky for me, I found an old printed recipe for Outrageous Chocolate Cookies from everyone's favorite jailbird, Martha Stewart. I had most of the ingredients. I was golden.

The recipe calls for chocolate chunks, but I used Trader Joe's chips. I have nothing but love for them, so it was fine. Assembly was a snap. I baked the cookies for 12 minutes, turning halfway through and out came shiney, crackled cookies.

The cookies are incredibly rich and chocolatey. A tall glass of cold milk will compliment these very nicely. Mr. Cupcake gave these cookies an enthusiastic thumbs up. Okay, not really, but he definitely liked them. My little neighbor friend also enjoyed my Martha approved concoction. We'll see if the poker crew approves tomorrow. That is, if my neighbor friend and her friends don't eat them all by then. They like to come by and stare at Five through the screen door. Only, now they know I make cookies.


Outrageous Chocolate Cookies
Martha Stewart

Makes 2 dozen; Prep time: 20 minutes; Total time: 45 minutes
Do not bake the cookies to a crisp; they are meant to be soft and chewy. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for two to three days.

8 ounces semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chunks

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Heat chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until almost melted; do not overheat. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.

2. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; beat in melted chocolate. Mix in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks.

3. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are shiny and crackly yet soft in centers, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheets 10 minutes; with a thin metal spatula, transfer to racks to cool completely.


Note: Don't worry if the batter seems thin. It should look more like brownie batter than cookie dough.

No comments: