Monday, August 07, 2006

sf part deux

I attempted to escape the heat in the South Bay by visiting SK and CI in the city, but was disappointed to find out that the heat was also in San Francisco. After a late breakfast/lunch, we walked around Fisherman's Wharf, but had to retreat into the Gap for its air conditioning. Since we could only hang out in the Gap for so long, we eventually headed back to their place.

Later on, SK decided she wanted cold Korean noodle soup. Our only problem was that none of us knew where any Korean restaurants were. Instead of picking somewhere blindly, I gave my sister-in-law a call. She use to live in the Bay area and is Korean. The first place she suggested was Brothers Restaurant, but she wasn't sure if they'd have the cold noodle soup. Then she called her friend who is Korean and lives in the Bay Area. She suggested Wooden Charcoal BBQ. We ended up picking the latter because there was less chance of a wait since it's a bigger space.

Wooden Charcoal BBQ is down in the Inner Richmond district. Because we're all fairly new to the area, we were surprised by the number of Korean businesses near the restaurant. I guess it's some sort of Korea town. Brothers Restaurant was also within the vicinity.

When we arrived, we were immediately seated. The restaurant was pretty big, and there were a fair amount of open tables. The decor was pretty bland, so don't expect anything fancy if you go.

We opted for one the dinner specials. CI had convinced SK to forego the cold noodle soup even though that's what we came for. His reasoning was that we'd end up with too much food, which turned out to be true. Our dinner came with a spicy tofu soup, salad, three grilled meats, chap chae, and the usual sides. I thought the spicy tofu soup was pretty good. It was spicy and warm. The heat outside had tapered off, so the warm soup was nice.

The meat was the main event and consisted of spicy pork, chicken, and beef. We let the restaurant cook it for us. The last time we cooked our own meat, our clothes reeked from the smoke. I didn't eat any of the beef, and found the chicken to be pretty good. It was juicy and flavorful, but the real winner was the pork. The spicy marinade penetrated the meat and it was also very tender. Next time I will just stick with the pork.

The family dinner for four (CI's ex roommate joined us) excluding tip and drinks was about $62. Overall, the food was pretty good. It was higher quality than my last Korean BBQ experience. However, I will probably try some of the other restaurants in the area including Brothers Restaurant before I go back. If only there was great Korean BBQ in the South Bay. Then again, there might be; I just haven't found it yet.

So, that was my day in San Francisco. We battled the heat and ate some good food. By the end of the day, CI was lucky enough to collect a souvenir from our adventures:

Nothing says a good day like a rockin farmer's tan.

4 comments:

Jaye said...

Welcome back!

Look at all the banchan, mmm mmm! And the other dishes look delicious too.

madame cupcake said...

Thanks Jaye! It's been a hectic summer, but I definitely intend to post more often.

I noticed you've been MIA from your blog as well. Busy summer on both coasts it seems. :)

mrcupcake said...

I know who the people are and I can't read their codenames. The heat must be getting to me. Alphabet soup: R, SK, CI, P, M, K, L, T, A.

Why don't I get a letter? Can I be Z?

madame cupcake said...

I was thinking about this the other day. The initials are starting to annoy me too. I think I'm going to go all out and give people crazy code names or just use their real name.

hmmmm... things to think about.

And no you can't be z. You're Mr. Cupcake. Jeesh.