Monday, August 07, 2006

sf part une

A few weeks ago I went into the city and spent the day with SK and CI. This was during that crazy heat wave that took over the Bay Area. We don't have air conditioning in our new place, so it was a great way (or so I thought) to beat the heat. It's usually cooler up north compared to where I am. Mr. Cupcake was on call that day, so he missed out on the fun.

Our first destination was Mama's on Washington Square. It was Saturday morning around 11:30. We had anticipated a wait, and were not disappointed. The line was wrapped around the side of the building. However, we decided it wasn't that bad, and proceeded to wait. Besides, the car was parked and we had 2 hours to kill.

During our 45 minute wait, my friends and I started gawking at the people who were eating through the big windows. We have no shame. Everything looked good, so it was difficult trying to figure out what order. I eventually decided breakfast was where it was at. I was leaning towards the pancakes because of the berries, but at the last minute had a change of heart.

I went with the pain dore. It was described as sour dough bread french toast served with apples. I was a bit leary because I imaged that the french toast was going to be this huge chunk of bread, but they had widdled it down to this thin pancake like shape. I was mightily impressed with my dish. The apple slices were smothered in a rich buttery lemon sauce and topped with powdered sugar. It was heavenly.

SK was hoping to get the Cranberry, Orange, Walnut Bread French Toast served with Mixed Berries and Maple Syrup (I had previously shown her a picture from the Becks & Posh blog), but unfortunately, it wasn't available. Her backup plan was a plate of pancakes with berries. It was three big, thick pancackes topped with raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. The pancakes were a little fluffier than I prefer, but still quite good. It's amazing what ripe fruit does for a dish.

CI ordered an omelet that had Italian sausage. I don't remember which one specifically, but I can tell you it was very tasty. The omelet was filled with big chunks of sausage and vegetables. I would gladly order an omelet here based on my one trial bite.

Our three dishes, 2 iced teas, and iced coffee cost $36 before tip. I can see why this place is so popular, and I do think it's worth the wait. I'm sad that there aren't any places like this in the South Bay. I feel a bit cheated on breakfast down here. Maybe I should open my own breakfast joint. Though that would require me to know how to make multiple breakfast dishes.

One tip: Mama's only takes cash. We didn't see the sign until we got up to the register, so just keep that in mind. It'd be devastating to wait in a line for so long only to be turned away just before the finish line.

My DSL is finally working, but at the expense of my house line. So don't try to call my house number for now. The good news is that I should be able to update my blog regularly again. I have a lot of things to catch up on, so inbetween my job search I'm going to post.

3 comments:

echo2000 said...

You might want to try Crepevine at 1310 Burlingame Ave, Burlingame. They have great breakfast. We used to live Noe Valley and miss all the great breakfast places.

madame cupcake said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll add it to my wishlist which has been looking a little anemic lately. I haven't heard of Crepevine, but I'm always on the lookout for a great breakfast!

I feel for you. It's been years since I lived near a really great breakfast joint. One day...

echo2000 said...

Forgot another great place. Alanas Cafe in Redwood city . http://www.alanascafe.com/