Wednesday, September 06, 2006

the it's it blind taste test

It's It Ice Cream is a local San Francisco brand that specializes in various ice cream treats. Their signature product is an It's It, which is a scoop of ice cream sandwiched between two oatmeal cookies, then dipped in chocolate. The first time I had one of these concoction was when I had lunch at Google. No, I don't work there, but I happen to know some people who do. To tell you the truth, I didn't really care for the It's It. The ice cream was too fluffy, and I wasn't a fan of the oatmeal cookie. I was then told that the people at It's It created a special formula to make it a little healthier for the worker bees at Google. Interesting.

With the It's It still fresh in my mind, I had to know what a real It's It was like. I'm not originally from California, so I feel it's my duty to find these things out for my own personal enrichment. Anyway, Mr. Cupcake and I went to Safeway and bought a three pack of It's It. I actually found that I liked the real It's It better than the Google version. It seemed like it was denser. I wasn't sure though. It was time to do a side by side comparison. A blind taste test at that!

I managed to get ahold of another Google It's It, and then bought another three pack of It's It from Safeway (my other pack was long gone thanks to Mr. Cupcake).

The It's Its sat in my freezer for a few days. The thought of eating two at once was too overwhelming. At 340 calories a piece, it was too much. So, the other night, Soo and Chris came over for dinner (more about that another day) and I decided it was time.

Mr. Cupcake split the It's It in quarters and handed them out. I took a picture before the tastings commenced. There was an immediate visual difference: the one on the right looked like it had a creamier texture compared to the one on the left. We had our nibbles and Soo declared the one on the left was the real It's It because it was creamier in taste. Chris and I declared it was the other way around. Mr. Cupcake informed us that Soo was indeed correct. This confused me. I was sure I was right. The It's It on my right was by far creamier than the one on the left. I protested Mr. Cupcake's ruling and referred back to my picture that I had just taken. Apparently, before I took the picture, Mr Cupcake noticed I turned the plate 180 degrees, thus changing my result. In the end, I was actually right as well. So folks, if you're doing a blind taste test, make sure you make your samples are somehow marked to avoid any confusion. Anyway, we all came to the same conclusion that the standard It's It ice cream was creamier, denser, and tastier overall.

So, do you want to know the difference between the two It's Its is? Sure you do! According to the package, the ice cream in the Google's It's It is made with sugar while the "real" It's It is made with high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, and sugar. It's surprising how much creamier the ice cream was due to the high fructose corn syrup, and regular corn syrup. I'm guessing that's why the It's It people use it because it certainly makes for tastier ice cream.

I know there's all this hub bub about high fructose corn syrup being equivalent to liquid death, but the problem is it's in so many things. While the idealist in me tells me I need to permanently rid myself of toxins such as high fructose corn syrup, I just don't think it's going to happen. My quest for complete and total gluttony keeps getting in the way.

3 comments:

mrcupcake said...

I prefer rice pudding to the Its It, but when there's no rice pudding to be had I must settle for one.

The word on the Google Its It is that it's made with beet sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, and that the ingredients are "natural" and "sourced from local pure ingredients". The fact that it doesn't taste as good is made up for by the feeling of superiority you get when you can say "natural" and "pure".

Oh yes, and I've also heard the Its It plant runs on "green power" (aka Oompa Loompas) too. Okay, you caught me. I made that up.

Chris said...

In my defense, I based my choice on the cookie. The cookie on the Google Its-it was much better and fresher than the original. I have a feeling it was due to the safeway one having sat in the freezer much longer than the Google one.

I did agree with everyone else that the ice cream in the real its-it was much creamier, but for over all taste (in a small size) I like the Google one for the fresh cookie.

Maybe I need to bring a Google one to the Its-it factory and do a fresh taste test of both.

Anonymous said...

I consider the "Safeway" It's It one of the top three treat choices on the face of the planet.

Way better than sex!