Saturday, October 07, 2006

buffet - that's boo-fey to you

My Vegas trip report seems to be dragging. I only have 2 more after this and then it's back to business as usual.

On our second day in Vegas, we had plans. There was a bit of gambling, and 'O', but, first, we had meals to attend to. Chrisi, Tristan, and I woke up early, so we picked up some goods at the Bouchon Bakery and sat poolside. We tried to keep it light because we knew the motherload was coming. That's right folks, the Wynn Buffet.

In case you've been living in a hole, the Wynn is the new fancy schmancy hotel that opened earlier this year. I remember watching Matt Laurer live at the Wynn on the Today Show the day it opened. I guess it was that big of a deal.

Anywho, it's just down the street from the Venetian, so the six of us hoofed it over.

It was Sunday morning around noon, and we had about a 30-45 minute wait. We were hungry, but decided it was worth waiting for.

This picture is the entrance to the dining area. I took this picture as Mr. Cupcake paid for our meal. Two adults for Sunday brunch sans the bloody mary/champagne add on was $62.39 including tax.

Everything about the Wynn is grand. It's one of those things where I can't decide if it's nice or bordering gawdy. I will say that the buffet is ginormous. There was Italian, Chinese, Japanese, seafood, salads, omelet station, breakfast, endless desserts, etc.

It seemed to go on and on, and I somehow had to pick something to eat. Normally, I would just eat off Mr. Cupcake's plate as well as mine so I get double the pleasure. However, we didn't sit next to each other. Soo and I sat together in a two seater while everyone sat at another table. They told us we couldn't put the tables together because it was a fire hazard. I was forced to fly solo.

For my first trip, I decided I wanted breakfast. I went with a tomato, ham, green pepper, and mushroom omelet, eggs benedict, a waffle, and some bacon. I really tried to ignore the bacon, but the bacon won. I figured I'd make up for it in my second trip. The quality of the food was pretty good. I can't say I was blown away, but hey, it's a buffet. My only complaint was that I asked for egg whites, and the lady gave me the full egg. It wasn't the end of the world, so I ate the filling rather than the eggs.

I made up for the bacon by getting some yogurt and fresh berries. The berries were tasty and sweet. This was surprising because I don't normally expect good fruit at a buffet.

On round two, I decided to go a bit lighter. Looking back at the picture makes me think maybe I was drunk based on my selections. I picked up an egg roll with sweet and sour sauce, a biscuit, ceasar salad, strawberries and cream, and white peaches. The only reason why I picked up the biscuit was because I thought they had biscuits and gravy. Oh how I love biscuits and gravy. It turns out it was a seafood gravy, which I wasn't in the mood for. I did enjoy the strawberries quite a bit. Soo and I found the egg roll to be lacking in filling, but at least it was crispy.

Soo and I were going to get a dessert assortment. In theory, this was a great idea, however, we were both so full that we were uncomfortable just sitting. She had stuffed herself with various ceviches, and soup. I had bacon and ceasar salad among other things. Damn you bacon!

In the end, I decided I needed to have dessert. We were on vacation so it was my duty to indulge and engage in sweet, sweet glutony. With the vast selection, it was incredibly hard to choose. There was ice cream with a wide assortment of toppings, tarts, cakes, cookies and more. I ended up a candied apple, and a piece of strawberry cake. The candied apple was pretty good. I only ate a piece, but it was about what I expected; a sugary, hard candy shell wrapped around an apple. The strawberry cake was blah. Earlier, I tried Delia's floating islands, which was probably the best dessert out of all them. I only know about floating islands because I saw the Barefoot Contessa make them once for a rehearsal dinner. Now that I think about it, maybe I should try and make them myself. I heart you Ina!

The only word that come to mind when I think of the Wynn Buffet is overwhelming. By the end, most of us were in serious pain. And to think, we were trying to figure out where to go for an early dinner before the show. Yeah, that didn't happen.

1 comment:

sooiepoo said...

GAWD! Just thinking about it makes my stomache ache... ooooh but the crab bisque was so very very delish. And remember, I did get desserts... in the very beginning I started my meal with 2 servings of Flan. :) We should all start meals with a little dessert so that we don't miss it!