Wednesday, November 29, 2006

a month?!

Today, I'm one day shy of not posting for a month. A month?! I can hardly believe it myself. I apologize to those who read my blog. It's that thing called life and it's been getting in the way of blogging. I have been working a lot, and that will soon slow down. Not to say life won't still be busy; I'm in the process of working on a new venture. Whether or not it will be successful, I'm not sure, but there's no way to tell unless I try. Perhaps I will expound upon that on a later date.

Anywho, so let me tell you about my last month. I worked a lot. I went down to Monterey for work. I have to say that the town doesn't have much in the way of food. It's tourist trap after tourist trap. I did manage to eat one meal in Monterey that I'd recommend to others. It's called Sea Harvest Fish Market and Restaurant.

It's half fish market, half restaurant. I did a little bit of research before our business trip, and found this place. My colleague and I ended up going there for lunch, and found the fish and chips to be surprisingly good. The batter was light and crispy, and the fish was the local catch of the day. I'd have to say the best part was that I didn't end up with heart burn, which automatically makes it a winner in my book. I did go to another restaurant in Monterey that was fancier and on Cannery Row, and I must say, Fish Harvest blew it out of the water.

This was my first trip to Monterey, and I'm not sure I'll make an effort to go back. However, I will definitely go back to Carmel. Now, I've been there before, and it's been okay. It feels a bit stuffy, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Fortunately, thanks to my friend Clive, I had an amazing meal at Le Coq D'or. He has been visiting this place for years, and let me in on his secret.

It's a small place that is run by an elderly woman who is not quite as mobile as she may have once been. It's an extremely charming little restaurant that only sits about 35 people. The menu is split between French and German offerings. I had the spaetzle and my friends had the beef bourguignonne, onion tart, and escargot. We were all amazed by the sheer quality of the meal. I plan on taking Mr. Cupcake there and I will do a full report in the near future. Until then, I urge you to stop by if you're in the area.

Lastly, Thanksgiving. I had a weird Thanksgiving. My family decided that they wanted to go out to dinner for Thanksgiving to avoid the hassles of eating at home. However, this did not stop my mother from making a full turkey dinner for "leftovers". Yeah, that was my reaction too.

We ended up going to an Italian restaurant for dinner. Mr. Cupcake let me know that it was the first time he's had pasta for Thanksgiving. I'm not too upset about it because my great turkey deep fry is on like Donkey Kong. I sent out an invite and so it means I actually have to do it. I'm dreaming of a deep fried turkey with sides like deep fried twinkies and deep fried mac n cheese. Oh the possibilities!

Also on the agenda is Ad Hoc in Yountville, CA. It's Thomas Keller's 6 month pet project that seems to be doing well. I will have a full report sometime next week.

So, that's what I've been up to. I promise to make December a more interesting blogging month.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Ohhh, a deep fried turkey! That sounds so good, can't wait to see the pictures!

madame cupcake said...

Hey Jaye! I was wondering what happened to you. Glad to see you're back. :)

And no worries, I'll have a full report on the turkey fry. It's something I've been wanting to do for awhile. I'm sure my heart will thank me later.