Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Indian pizza anyone?

A couple of weekends ago, Mr. Cupcake, Soo, and Chrisi went to Crazy Frank's Desi Pizza in Sunnyvale. Mr. Cupcake heard about it on an email food thread at work. Pizza is definitely one of the things Mr. Cupcake misses the most about the East Coast. I don't know what it is about the West Coast the mediocre pizza, but I'll tell you, the mediocrity is abundant.

Crazy Frank's Desi Pizza is located in Sunnyvale. It was tricky to find because there isn't much of a sign. However, if you're driving along, you can see a red lighted sign that says "Desi" in the window.

Now, this place is unlike any pizza place I've been to in my life. It's a buffet of sorts, but not one where you go up to the buffet line and take your slices of pizza. It's more like dim sum meets pizza. More on that later.

When you order, it's just ordering the buffet. Since they say they offer so many different combinations of pizzas, they don't allow you to order an individual pizza. Instead, you're at the mercy of what's being served that day. However, they do give you the option of vegetarian or meat. The buffet also comes with the salad bar. Now, the salad bar is a bit odd. It has chai, soup, kheer (Indian rice pudding), pasta salad, a big bowl of mixed greens, some bottled salad dressing, and a few toppings. You definitely don't come here for the salad.

The pasta was pretty good. It was a bit spicy, but try not to fill up on it. The salad wasn't anything particularly special.

Mr. Cupcake tried the broccoli soup, but it wasn't anything too exciting either.

We sat there and munched on our food. The next thing we know, a lady rolls up with a cart and offers us a slice of paneer pizza.

We happily accepted, and much to our delight, the pizza was quite good. The sauce was on the sweet side, more like a sweet Asian chili sauce. The pizza was topped with chunks of paneer (Indian cheese), cheese, and peas. The crust was thin and crispy and tasted like it came out of a brick oven of sorts. Chrisi described it as eating naan with Indian food on top. I could agree with that assessment, but also add that the bottom was crispier than naan. Overall, the pizza was very inventive, and also very good. Since the pizza comes around on carts, they have to serve other people in the restaurant, so we had to wait for another pizza to come. It's too bad because we wanted more paneer.

Next up was the chicken pizza. It was chicken, chick peas, peas, and cheese. We had this odd exchange with this guy who was dressed in plain clothes. At first I thought he was a customer that had an extra pizza and was giving it to us. I mean, it wouldn't have been that weird since the pizza comes around on carts. So, I told him I'd take a slice, and he tried to give the whole pizza to me. Eventually we figured out that he wasn't a customer, but in fact Crazy Frank. He ended up setting the pizza on our table. I guess since it had meat, it wasn't as popular. The pizza was okay, but not near as good as the paneer. At first, no one was really into. I liked the sauce since it was the same as the first pizza, so I ended up scraping off most of the toppings and eating it that way. The pizza lingered on our table for quite some time before Mr. Cupcake and Chrisi decided it was much better cold. We eventually finished off the whole thing.

A few other pizzas went by, and they were pretty good, but we were still in awe of the paneer, so we asked if they could make more. Fortunately for us, they did.


The buffet is $10.99/person which isn't a bad deal at all. While Crazy Frank's is a little odd as far as setup goes, it's definitely unique and also very good pizza. During the meal, I decided it had many of Mr. Cupcake's favorite elements rolled into one - pizza, Indian food, and kheer. The only thing it's really missing is beer. We will definitely be back in the near future and you should too.

I have been pretty busy recently - go figure. I'm backlogged like you wouldn't believe on places I want to blog about, but I hope to catch up on some of it soon. I also went to Seattle this past weekend and was able to visit with some friends I hadn't seen in awhile. All in all, it was an excellent visit for my first time to Seattle. I will have a post on it in the next few days.

Finally, I want to give a shout out to my friends who have given birth to babies in the past week. So greetings to little Madeline and Camilla! It seems there's a the baby boom going on among my friends, but fortunately for me, I have no part in it other than I can say hello from my little blog. :)

2 comments:

TasteTV : Life Never Tasted So good said...

Oh Delicious One, you do get around. Have you thought about being a correspondent on TasteTV? (http://www.TasteTV.com)

madame cupcake said...

hmmmm... can't say that I have. Perhaps I could be persuaded though. I do like to eat after all.