Friday, May 11, 2007

In Dublin... Leaving Dublin

I thought I'd be better about posting in Dublin, but to tell you the truth, the jet lag and general time adjustment has been killer. We've been here for almost a week, and it's been interesting to say the least. We're heading to London in the morning, and I plan on posting more about our Dublin food adventures on the plane. If you asked me at the beginning of the week how the food was, I'd say omg, it's terrible! However, given time, we've managed to experience some gems. I also have to say that the clothes are very cute here! My pocketbook might be in for a hurting by June...

During the week, we took a tour of the Guinness factory. The line was incredible long, yet they usher people through pretty fast.

For 14 euros, one can tour the 5+ floor factory on a self guided tour. It was interesting, but I particularly liked the marketing aspect. Did you know the Guinness Book of World Records is related to Guinness the beer?


Or that the guy who created the famous Guinness character illustrations was once wooed by Walt Disney? He turned Disney down though.

We also had lunch at the cafe in the factory, but I won't go into that. Mr. Cupcake and J9 did enjoy Guinness Import Extra Stout which is only available in Europe, Japan, and maybe a few other countries. They can comment on the beer if they want since I didn't have any.

At the end of the tour, everyone is treated to a pint of Guinness. It should make it worth the 14 euros.

They fill the Guinness glasses up most of the way, and then let it settle. Once settled, they fill it up to the top. Genius. There's also a lovely view of Dublin from high up if you can push you way past gazillions of people.

Okay, that's all I really have from Dublin tonight. I have to go to bed so I can pack for London in the morning. Aye!

Oh, p.s. I had a big error on the 5 things to try before you die. I said the Spalding Bakery cooks their doughnuts in lard. This was a lie, lie, lie!!! I had no idea, but they were kind enough to post on my blog and correct me. They actually use soybean oil. I think what happened was a crazy person (who shall remain nameless) at my old job in KY told me it was lard and I believed them. My apologies for the misinformation, but now you know.

No comments: