Friday, May 04, 2007

A Slice of New York

Mr. Cupcake and I are sitting on a turbulent flight to Chicago from San Francisco. It's our layover on the way to Dublin, which means we have some time to kill. So, I'm going to give my little blog some love.

We've been in California for about a year and a half now, and let me just say, life is great. The weather is usually sunny and happy, we've made friends who we run around with, there's lots of good things to eat, and places to see. Yet, there's still a hole in Mr. Cupcake's heart, and that hole is NY style pizza. I realize many East Coast transplants experience this same sense of loss, and like many others, we haven't found a replacement. In order to make due, we either make pizza at home or eat pizza at Costco . Yes, I know, I said Costco. It's been our staple for the last year and a half. We've tried other places, yet none of them fill that void in Mr. Cupcake's heart.

I often peruse various sites including Chowhound, Yelp, blogs, etc., and keep an eye out for new pizza joints. I read about A Slice of New York Pizza sometime late last year (I think). It's been on my radar for awhile, but San Jose can be a trip for us. What now seems like many moons ago, Mr. Cupcake and I were having the what should we have for dinner debate. I finally offered up a Slice of New York. In typical fashion, Mr. Cupcake was skeptical, and wasn't sure he wanted to drive down to San Jose to be disappointed. We realized we weren't getting anywhere, and decided to bite the bullet. Mr. Cupcake called and ordered a large pizza for carry out and the conversation went something like this:

Mr. Cupcake: "Hi, I'd like to order a large pizza, half pepperoni, half tomato and onion."

ASoNY: "Sorry Sir, we don't have tomatoes or any of those fancy ingredients like artichokes, etc."

Mr. Cupcake to me: "No tomatoes."

Me: "WwwwwwwHHHHHhhhhhhAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttt?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

No tomatoes, seriously? Fancy ingredients?? Argh. I panicked. Tomato and onion are my pizza topping staples. I've been eating tomato and onion pizzas for as long as I can remember. Well, as far back as my days at Lehigh, when we'd order a large pizza from Alpha Pizza Pie. The guy who ran the shop would use crushed tomatoes in place of sauce and we'd add onions. Alas, I had to pick some new toppings on the fly. All I could come up with was Canadian bacon and green pepper. Yeah, I know, weak.

A Slice of New York is in a small strip along Steven's Creek Blvd., and if you're not paying attention, it's easy to miss. There isn't much parking and even fewer seats inside. Don't expect to throw your kid's next birthday party here because there's limited space. I believe most people probably do carry out at this place. When we arrived, our pizza was ready. We paid $22 and went on our way.

I took a peak in the car and found the pizza to be a respectable size and coved in ample toppings. I could maybe forgive as long as the crust was chewy and delicious.

When we came home, Mr. Cupcake tested the pizza's bend-ability factor. It passed reasonably well.

The verdict? This pizza is the best NY style pizza we've had out here on the West Coast. The crust was chewy and had a slight crispness to it even after the drive home. It also didn't have that overwhelming yeasty flavor that a lot of NY style pizzas have out here. Mr. Cupcake was pleased. I was mostly pleased. The Canadian bacon/green onion combo was more satisfying than I was anticipating.

The owners have definitely tapped into a lacking market in the Bay Area. The other thing they have going for them is that they're open late into the night. Now, if only they carried tomatoes and opened a few new branches closer to the Peninsula. Maybe next time I'll be the psycho/weirdo customer who brings in her own sliced tomato in Gladware and begs them to add it her pizza order. I'm okay with being psycho/weirdo. So, yeah, maybe.


3 comments:

ksv666 said...

Just came across your posting on Where the Locals Eat. While sliced tomatoes are not on the menu, we do offer it as an option now. We have salads with sliced roma tomatoes on it, so we can make an exception :).

The only caveat is if we are busy, we may not be really happy to do it. Just be nice and ask if they can do it for you. I am sure they will.

Thanks for the nice review.

-Kirk
Owner, A Slice of New York

Sara said...

Hi! I was searching for info about the new branch of A Slice of New York opening next month in Sunnyvale, and thought you might want to know there's a new branch of A Slice of New York opening next month in Sunnyvale. :)


I'm not sure of the address but I believe it will be on El Camino, near Bernardo.

Anonymous said...

The new A Slice of New York is open and it's at 1253 W El Camino real, in Sunnyvale (BevMo parking lot)